[PD] suggestion: $0 in messages

Giulio Moro giuliomoro at yahoo.it
Fri Apr 6 12:21:54 CEST 2018

I don't think it makes sense to have a malloc() and free() for each call to a msg box.
Pd is already not very real-time friendly, why make it worse?
There could be ...
- statically allocated memory for t_gstack y in pd_pushsym
- a pre-allocated memory pool meant for short-lived memory allocations to be used in real-time critical cases like this. If no memory available from the pool, only then allocate it (or allocate a new pool).
There are probably other cases around the codebase where this would make sense, but why not starting with this?

Giulio

On Thursday, 5 April 2018, 22:54:44 BST, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list <pd-list at lists.iem.at> wrote:

> On Thursday, April 5, 2018, 3:20:03 PM EDT, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> test? https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/346

That will add a malloc/free for every method call to a msg box. So
I'd measure the performance impact before using that
implementation.

On the l2ork dev list I mentioned a potential way to cache the glist
in the t_messresponder to avoid allocation at message evaluation time.
But we haven't implemented that yet (nor measured the current
performance hit).

-Jonathan

--------
Dan Wilcox