[PD] debugging complex extern

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 16:54:14 CEST 2018

FWIW I recently debugged the Ableton link external on macOS using lldb. As mentioned previously, I build both Pd *and* the external with debugging symbols using "-g". One thing to check: may sure you are loading the external you built and not pre-existing binary somewhere in your path.

> On Apr 12, 2018, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 11:18:22 +0200
> From: David Medine <dmedine at ucsd.edu <mailto:dmedine at ucsd.edu>>
> To: pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] debugging complex extern
>
> @Miller, no I hadn't. Thanks! I knew there was something like that I had
> neglected. Now I am able to debug with gdb.
>
> @iohannes, I am still having trouble with this technique. If I run Pd
> from the gdb prompt (with -nrt and -stderr) and a break point within the
> extern (meaning object not compiled into pd) nothing happens when I run
> the function where I want to break. If I follow the instructions on
> Hans' tutorial (run pd in a separate process then attach gdb to it) Pd
> simply hangs when I hit the break point and gdb doesn't appear to do
> anything.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>