[PD] Search path broken after upgrade to 0.48.0 (Ubuntu/Linux)

Joey Dodson joey.dodson3 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 08:00:35 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I'm years-long Pd user, new to the list. Thanks in advance for everyone's
time!

[tl;dr below]

I recently, after extended was declared no longer maintained, decided to
switch to vanilla. I have always used a folder in my home directory to
store all of my pd patches, abstractions and help files for my
abstractions. It worked fine in extended as long as I listed the directory
in my search path in preferences. I also used an earlier version of vanilla
for a short time before realizing that it didn't include deken, which was
the main draw leading me to switch to vanilla. It may have been 0.46.x
(whatever installs by default for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) and I believe the
search paths worked fine there too.

I ended up upgrading Ubuntu to 17.10 in order to install Pd 0.48.0, but now
Pd won't create any objects in the search paths in my preferences. I must
put *.pd files directly in ~/.local/lib/pd/extra/ in order for them to be
recognized. Subdirectories within ~/.local/lib/pd/extra/ do not show up
either. I am not sure if this is by design, a bug or something unrelated to
Pd, nor have I been able to solve this issue or find any solution by
searching online or in the mailing lists. I posted in the facebook group,
but it was suggested I ask here, so here I am. :)

[--tl;dr--]

Upgraded to Pd 0.48.0
on Ubuntu 17.10 (64bit)

Search paths in Preferences no longer work, only files in the following
path work:
~/.local/lib/pd/extra/

If anyone can point me in the right direction or help me along in finding a
solution, I would be extremely grateful!

p.s. I'm not sure if it's bad form for some reason to keep Pd files in my
home directory. If so, I'm open to more information on how to better align
my work flow with the program design.

Best regards,
Joey