[PD] How to declare custom libraries in abstractions

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 01:49:13 CEST 2018

> Thanks Alex, you've pretty much answered all my questions. I have a bit of
> confusion though, because for me, [declare] in 0.48 does seem to add custom
> search paths (see attached screenshot). Doesn't this contradict what you
> said?

I don't really know what you have there. Let me restate what I sad anyway
and show you a screenshot of mine. The [declare] object wth the "-path"
flag cannot add a path relative to the user added search paths. By "user
added search paths" I mean the paths you manually add in Pd => Preferences.

For example, see my screenshot below (also attached). I have "cyclone" at
~/Documents/Pd/externals/cyclone and I have ~/Documents/Pd/externals as a
user added path, so if I do [declare -path cyclone] it can't find it.

Now, if this actually works for you, I don't know.

As to whether I should do it or not, I have users telling me that I should
> and developers telling me that I shouldn't, which puts me in a bit of a
> bind. Ultimately, I'm worried that a complex install process will scare a
> lot of new users off, which is why I'm looking for a solution. I've given
> up on many computer programs before simply because I couldn't get them to
> work in the first 5 minutes; haven't you?

yup, you're right, this is a good motivation.

Lucarda's way of doing this seems to be the choice you want to go for.

cheers