[PD] [shell] - shell scripts on osx

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Apr 19 15:12:14 CEST 2018

On 04/19/2018 02:39 PM, oliver wrote:
> hi, again something where i am stuck ...
>
> i am trying to get a simple bash script to run on OS X using ggee's
> shell object.
>

> unfortunately, when sending it the corresponding message, [shell]
> doesn't seem to do anything. while simple commands like "ls" etc. work
> and output a result (out the left outlet), i can't seem to be able to
> run a (executable) .sh file that runs nicely when called from a terminal.
>
> what's more:
>
> even a simple output redirecting command like
>
> ls -la > ./output.txt
>

> doesn't do anything apart from sending "1" out the right outlet.

hmm, redirection is actually *not* the simplest test case.
and getting a 1 indicates a problem.

you probably should check the terminal for errors (the help-patch
erroneously speaks of the "Pd console"; back in the days when [shell]
was written, the Pd console was indeed the terminal window.)

also, you and [shell] might have different opinions about what the
current directory ("./") means.
try using full paths.

[/Users/oliver/Documents/Scripts/runme.sh(

[ls -la > /tmp/output.txt(

> can anybody help or is there another way to run shell scripts from
> within PD on OSX ?

i don't know anything about OSX, but my advice should be generic enough...

gfmdsar
IOhannes