[PD] polynomial pairs in lpc filter

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 16:38:42 CEST 2018

Apologies - I'm trying to do this while buying a house...I don't know if that is simple in Austria but it isn't here.

But, I was indeed firing blind myself. I assume you are referring to line 665 to 668 in mbc_lpc~.c:
  mbc_lpc_class = class_new(gensym("mbc_lpc~"),
  (t_newmethod)lpc_new,
  0, sizeof(t_lpc),
  CLASS_DEFAULT, A_DEFFLOAT, 0);

After reading your email I assumed it was something new, but of course I had just copied, pasted and altered code from a previous external (and forgot)
Perhaps it's to do with linking to libm, so I'll check the makefile once I'm back in a reasonably stable (time-wise) environment.

BUT - I've never really understood (in ~13 years of external development) what all those args to class_new() did before, and you've forced me to look deeper into m_pd.h
I should thank you for that - and yes, I learned how to write externals by reading your howto, in 2005 I believe.

Thanks,
Ed

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-^-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

For Lone Shark releases, Pure Data software and published Research, go to http://sharktracks.co.uk

 On 2018-04-20 11:31, Ed Kelly via Pd-list wrote:
>> it seems that you are making it deliberately hard to help... :-)
>
> I am taking a stab at doind things I've never done before, and I'm quite out of my depth! :~}
>
>> also, if the *only* external function you are using from m_pd.h is
> [i]fft_mayer(), then it is pretty clear that the external cannot load:
> you need at least class_new() and pd_new() as well...
>
> Ok. I've never used class_new() and pd_new() before. Can you point me in the direction of an external that uses it?

hmm... each and every one?

just to make sure: with "external" you mean some dynamically loadable
file that somehow adds new [object]s to Pd?

if we can agree on that, you might want to read my externals howto [1].
(for completeness sake, there are other ways to write externals; but so
far the only thing i've understood so far is that "it doesn't work",
making it impossible to tell which path you took before you lost your way).

fgmasdr
IOhannes

[1] https://github.com/pure-data/externals-howto