[PD] [vcf~] with resonance?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 21:17:18 CEST 2018

Q refers to the bandwidth of a resonant filter, but is ultimate effect t
depends on what kind of filter we're talking about. In some filters,
adjusting the bandwidth also boost the resonant frequency. This is not the
case of vcf~, which acts more like a constant gain bandpass filter. It's
more common in electronic music to have a lowpass resonant filter, though,
like the bob~ object, which emulates a moog filter.

So if you wanna make [vcf~] to have a higher boost in the resonant
frequency, just add some gain to it...

The [svf~] object has such kind of lowpass resonant filters. Cyclone also
has other filters, [lores~] is also a lowpass resonant filter, but it
frequency response varies with frequency (which I think is bad). Now, [reson~]
is a bandpass filter where you can adjust the bandwidth and overall gain. A
new couple of objects in cyclone are [filtercoeff~] and [biquad~], which
allow you to have a more proper lowpass resonant filter, controlled via
signals.

I actually think the   [filtercoeff~] + [biquad~] design is terrible. It'd
be much simpler just to have ready made filters. So I made them in mey new
library, for instance: [else/lowpass~].

cheers