[PD] open a pdf file from within PD to a specific location

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon May 7 00:48:28 CEST 2018

> On 05/06/2018 05:51 AM, Liam Goodacre wrote:
> > You can use [pddplink] from the pddp library to open a file from the
> hard disk (or the as-yet unreleased [link] from ELSE).
>
> while i cannot help you with your specific question, i'd like to point
> out that the "link" object is already taken by pmpd, and should probably
> be avoided (it is a rather generic term as well, so i don't think it is
> a good name for any special purpose object).

agreed

What the object is doing is more opening any kind of file, what pddplink
actually does as well, but I'm expanding the features to make it able to
receive a file name and open it. This will open the file according to the
software specified by the operating system, so opening a wave file calls
the default software that handles wav files. The deal with urls and
weblinks is that these are opened by your default browser, so it's not that
it's a specific thing for weblinks at all.

So if you give it a "odt" file to open, it'll call the default software
that handles it...

I don't know much about this, but if you want to open a documentation file
at a specific location, I guess your best strategy is to offer a divided
html documentation folder. And everyone has a default browser for opening
these...

cheers