[PD] [PD-announce] [ARRAST_VJ] - Pure Data/GEM Video Mixer/Mapper - www.arrastvj.org

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Thu May 10 20:49:05 CEST 2018

Bruno Rohde wrote:

> The reason for the Light version not to play audio is that audio and
> video playback needs to be performed on 2 instances of the Pd so as not
> to generate audio clicks as it does in the full version. At the time of
> development, the object [pd~], used to manage the two instances and
> their communication, presented a serious problem in Windows, because it
> was not possible to run a patch located in a path with spaces in the
> name, and this is standard in Windows (ex: C:/Program Files/). If I am
> not mistaken, in version 0.48.1 of Pd this issue of [pd~] has been
> solved, but I have not tested it yet.

makes sense, since when i'm on windows i always put PD as a standalone
version (the .zip package, without installer) on a seperate partition
and thus don't know about "space in names" issues ;-)

> As soon as I have time, I'll run new tests on Windows. I'm excited about
> your account of having managed to run the full version on Windows. By
> the way, what version of Windows and Pd are you using?

Win 7 / 64bit
PD 0.48.0
Gem 0.93.3

i also have a SSD in my laptop and i'm coming to believe that this is a
crucial aspect considering Gem's and PD's performance.

so far i didn't have to use [pd~) to smoothly run audio AND video in the
same instance of PD on my laptop (sometimes two HD movies and 3
soundfiles read from disk simultaneously !). i did however encounter
those problems on computers using conventional harddisks. just my
personal observation ...

so, running audio and video in seperate threads is definitely the safer
way to go

best

oliver