[PD] Escaping/not resolving dollar argts in msgs/objects?

Derek Kwan derek.x.kwan at gmail.com
Sun May 20 14:12:59 CEST 2018

Ingo Stock <mail at ingostock.de> writes:

> Now this works without error messages, combining some of the approaches
> in this thread.
>
> ingo
>

> On 05/15/2018 03:47 PM, Ingo Stock wrote:
>> But it works by creating the message with set and changing messages!
>>
>> [set obj 30 30 array define, adddollsym $2-$3( --> [( does the trick.
>>
>> See also attached working demo.

>>> I see. Thanks for pointing it out.
>>>
>>> Roman

Thanks all, sorry for the delayed response, got tied up with a looming
deadline during the week... Good solutions to try out with the $$ and
the [list tosymbol] options.

Yep, essentially what I wanted to do is was create a bunch of array
defines with $0 in them and not care about saving the dynamic patching
machinery used to create them. I suppose it wasn't super necessary in my
use case, but just keeping up my usual practice of prepending everything
with $0-, I suppose I tend to be on the extra paranoid side of wanting
to keep everything patch unique. A use case I could definitely see
myself doing at some point is something that I would want to open
multiple instances of that involve large sample banks, like say a live
looping patch with 50 10 second recordable loops or even just a sound
launcher/processor patch have can draw from 100s of different loaded up
sounds. In those cases, again I wouldn't care so much about saving the
machinery used to make all those [array defines], but doing all of those
by hand would definitely be a pain and they would all need $0-s in their
names to avoid collisions when multiple instances are open...

As a side note, I don't really particular about this situation right now
and don't have a use case as of yet, but it looks like both the $$
approach and the tosymbol approach don't work with trying to insert
literal "$0, $1, $2" and so on in [text]s the "patching" sort of way via
[text insert]? You can enter those literals just fine via the popup Pd
text window and those will save just fine, but both the $$ and tosymbol
methods via [text insert] yield input that looks to be their escaped
\$0, \$1 versions within the popup Pd text window and then when you try
to save the contents of that window they get resolved (so $0 goes to 0
and $1 yields \\$1: argument number out of range warnings).

Again, don't particularly care that much about finding a solution to
this other issue at the moment, but figured I bring it up as a possible
branch of further discussion since the topic is open at the moment
anyways...

Thanks again for the help on the dynamically creating [array defines]
with literal $0s.

Derek
--
Derek Kwan