[PD] "too many open files" error in 0.48.1

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 21 21:50:26 CEST 2018

On 05/21/2018 09:37 PM, ub at xdv wrote:
> On 21.05.2018 20:54, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
>>

>> On 21/05/18 19:35, ub at xdv wrote:
>>> hello,

>>> this is not really a problem with pd
>>
>> I disagree. The most common cause of "too many open files" is a bug in
>> closing files properly,

intuitively i would agree.

> possible. never occured to me. is it in the issue tracker?

no (afaik). it hasn't been reported before.

>> because 1024 simultaneously-open files should be
>> enough for most use cases.definitely, but when someone says "Granted I have a lot open", that
> could be an understatement. or a regression of some sort.

so i did a test run, with some heavily embedded abstraction, that is
loaded a total of 10000 times.
$ ulimit -Sn
1024
$ valgrind --track-fds=yes pd -noprefs -oss -nosound -nomidi -nrt
-stderr -open test.pd
[...]
==29030== FILE DESCRIPTORS: 3 open at exit.
==29030== Open file descriptor 2: /dev/pts/12
==29030==    <inherited from parent>
==29030==
==29030== Open file descriptor 1: /dev/pts/12
==29030==    <inherited from parent>
==29030==
==29030== Open file descriptor 0: /dev/pts/12
==29030==    <inherited from parent>
==29030==
[...]
$

so there seems to be neither a temporary file-handle leak (because my
10000 abstractions load just fine) nor an absolute file-handle leak
(since the only handles that are left open by the program are stdin,
stdout, stderr)

so i guess there must be something wrong with the patch.

@liam are there any externals in use? did you upgrade the entire system
or just Pd? when using an older version of Pd, does the problem persist?

gfmtdsar
IOhannes