[PD] [soundfiler] - get rid of the arbitrary default value for "-maxsize"

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon May 28 23:30:23 CEST 2018

On Sat, 2018-05-26 at 16:37 +0200, Christof Ressi wrote:
> https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/366
>
> I guess that arbitrary 16MB default maxsize is a relict of past
> times... let's get rid of it :-)

You make it sound like the reason for the limit was precious memory. I
agree that memory often is not that precious anymore, but the real
reason for this limit might have been the fact that you lose precision
the higher your index for table lookup is. I guess above 16MB you even
can't address every single integer anymore with 32bit float numbers.
You kinda need to know what you do when exceeding that or the result
may have bad sound quality.

Roman