[PD] Random

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at mathr.co.uk
Wed May 30 16:41:10 CEST 2018

On 30/05/18 15:17, Jean-Marie Adrien wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> trying to open a patch with a different text on screen each time random.
> Used random object as always since 20 years with a loadbang.
> Discovered that this loadbang/random seems to generate always the same result on opening
> :)
It's a feature.  But not having non-determinism is a bit awkward sometimes.

> What is the correct way to get a random digit on patch load within say 30 choices ?

You can generate a random number before starting Pd and -send it to your
patch on load.
(requires knowledge of shell/cmd scripting)
(this is the approach I took in my 'dynamo' project:
https://code.mathr.co.uk/dynamo )

You can try to read raw binary data from /dev/urandom, perhaps with
[soundfiler] or [readsf~]
(requires an OS with this device, and I have not tested it)

You could try reading from [adc~] or analogue sensor pins
(requires some unpredictable signal input, possibly special hardware)

You could try [delay] with [realtime]
(you might get one or two bits of randomness each time)

You could try an external
(maybe some function of calendar time will look random enough? I think
zexy has date support)

Claude
--
https://mathr.co.uk