[PD] standard paths for externals

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jun 12 13:00:10 CEST 2018

On 2018-06-12 12:10, Max wrote:
> I'm looking for the canonical paths to install externals for the
> different platforms and only can find information which seems to be
> outdated, like here:
>
> http://puredata.info/docs/faq/how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files

why do you think it is outdated?

> At least deken seems to install into ~/Documents/Pd/externals instead.
no. that's only half-true.
deken uses a configured install path or - as a fallback - the first
available (and writable) sys_search path.
when *you* clicked on "yes, please create a ~/Documents/Pd/ folder for
me where i want to put all the externals into" at the "first" startup of
Pd, you implicitely created ~/Documents/Pd/externals/ and added it to
deken's install path.

however, apart from this (missing) new-fangled path which seems to not
integrate that well with Pd's search in the first place, everything you
found on the how-do-i-install-exernals-and-help-files FAQ is correct.

> There has been discussions about this frequently, but I can't seem to
> find the results of it. Was there something which was agreed upon?

nothing.
there's a deep rift between the factions.

> For which paths should an installer (ore make install) of an external
> look for?

in general i tend to use the pd-lib-builder Makefile as a reference for
such things any such things (it's a bit less conservative than myself,
without falling for each and every bel-de-jour).

btw, you should really consider using pd-lib-builder Makefile as the
buildsystem for all externals.

fgasdrmn
IOhannes