[PD] standard paths for externals

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 20:35:02 CEST 2018

> basically, I agree with Alexandre. To sum it up quickly from my point of
>
> 1) "-path" in [declare] should apply to *all* paths - including the user
> defined paths.
> 2) "-stdpath" and "-stdlib" should be deprecated and just become aliases
> to "-path" and "-lib"

Well, I mentioned about a pull request that was fixing [declare]. Here it
is: https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/205

And in fact it does all of that you just asked for. If I use [declare -path
else] I can get it to search for the else folder inside "extra". By the
way, it is already working like that for [declare -lib]. Check it out
yourself if you haven't.

this way we would have a unified way of dealing with paths which would be
> less confusing. does anyone see possible issues with that?

I don't think anyone has searched for more issues than me when this new way
of handling externals was proposed by Dan. I was very conservative! But
then Miller said we could just get the path mechanism and [declare] to
behave as people wanted, and I couldn't really find any issue with that.

Of course we still needed to do stuff in order for that to happen. But this
fix for [declare] was actually the only thing I found in the way of the new
process. I just couldn't find anything else...

And responding to your question, I can't see any issue with the fix from
the Pull Request. It has no backwards compatibility issues, it makes
perfect sense, it simplify things dramatically and it integrates pretty
well with the new process for Pd.

cheers