[PD] standard paths for externals

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 20:35:08 CEST 2018

On Thu, 2018-06-14 at 14:18 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> > Now, I'm going to load mylib with [declare -{std}path mylib] in my
> > patch which fails. What am I missing here?
>
> Yes, there's the declare issue we know and are addressing, but I'd
> also like to highlight that Deken also asks if you want to add what
> you downloaded to the search path. This intentionally provided a
> working solution to this issue at the time of the release, making it
> all just work by clicking "yes" to stuff, which is quite fine for
> newcomers.

OK. Just to be sure we are on the same page, I understand that the
following assumptions will be true, once the PRs are accepted:

 * The user defines the environment. The user can define in the pre-
   ferences in which paths [declare] looks for libraries.

 * Patches can use [declare] to load libraries, regardless where they
   are installed as long as the install path was added as searchpath
   in the preferences

 * Patches don't need to know anything about the environment.

Example:
--------

User adds '/home/jane/fanypdcollection/' to the paths in Pd's
preferences. Then she installs iemnet to
/home/jane/fancypdcollection/iemnet after she configured Deken to
install libraries to /home/jane/fanypdcollection/. Then she creates a
new patch, therein a [declare -path iemnet] and a [tcpclient] and the
latter creates successfully.

Is this the idea?

Roman