[PD] Puredata and DMX using OLA

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jun 22 10:33:54 CEST 2018

On 06/22/2018 05:37 AM, JP - Escarres wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I'm trying to make my DMX interface (Enttec OpenDMX USB) work with Pd.
> I read a lot of things about it, and probably the best way to make it work
> would be by using Open Lighting Architecture (
> https://www.openlighting.org/ola/)
> I'd like to avoid using something like QLC if possible.
> I'm on Linux (Ubuntu).
>
> I found this external http://puredata.info/Members/santi/ola2pd/ which
> seems to be perfect for me.
> I tried to follow all the steps (installing Ola, compiling Flext), but the
> object Ola2pd is not recognized by Pd.
> As they suggested, I tried to compile it myself by using Flext. It works,
> but still, the object Ola2pd is not recognized in pd.
> I received the message "undefined symbol:
> _ZTIN3ola6client17BaseClientWrapperE"
>
> Any idea of what I could do?

well, the problem you are facing is, that (at least) one of the symbols
that are supposedly provided by libola is missing.

so there's two possibilities:
- either you are not (properly) linking against libola
- or current version of libola does not provide that symbol any longer.

assuming the former (as the latter would require porting the external to
the new libola), i see that the readme.txt has an explicit note on
"compiling on ubuntu", that requires you to repeat the linker command
with "-lflext-pd_t -lola" *after* the output file (ola.pd_linux) rather
than before it (because doing it in the wrong order will make modern
linkers skip the linking; this is actually a bug in the buildsystem).

even if you are not using ubuntu, most modern linkers will require that
step.

fgmasrd
IOhannes