[PD] Random

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Jun 30 20:09:05 CEST 2018

On 06/30/2018 07:51 PM, Fede Camara Halac wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I find it useful to wrap random in an abstraction, so that I use $2 as an instance id, to both receive a "seed" and to add the abstraction id to the seed.
>
> But, it would be really useful to have a unique instance id already generated in the [random] object, and a global symbol to bind all [random]s to send a seed and increment it by each unique id.
>
> what do you think? is this possible?

i think it is possible, and i don't think it should be implemented.
a) it's super-easy to implement as an abstraction. what would a built-in
solution give you that an abstraction cannot give you?
b) it adds a false sense of randomness.
either the seed should be stupid enough (as is now), or it should have
proper entropy. your solution is inbetween.

gfmsadf
IOhannes