[PD] Glitch

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 11:31:18 CEST 2018

On Wed, 2018-07-04 at 10:53 +0200, michael strohmann wrote:

> Hello!
> from time to time my patch produces this beautiful, but unwanted
> glitch. (audiofile attached)

Sounds like I'm doing doing music. I wouldn't know how to identify the
glitch aspect of it. How does it sound without the glitch?

Some suggestions to make such things a bit easier:
 * Do not use compressed files to illustrate a glitch. It's hard to
   know what to attribute to the compression and what to the glitch.
 * If possible, provide also an example of how it is supposed to sound.
 * If possible, rather post links to your media files instead of
   attaching them to your mail. There is no point in every list member
   have their mail account filled with media files.

> are there any ideas what could cause this behaviour?

I would first figure out where the glitch happens. Is Pd actually
generating this sound or is Pd's audio playback glitchy? You can figure
this out by doing a recording from within Pd with [writesf~]. If the
result sounds OK, then you know that the glitch happens somewhere
between Pd and the sound card. If the result is glitchy, then the
glitch happens already within Pd, for instance because some object or
your patch is buggy.

> i am running this on a RPi B+, using sfplay~ to playback a 4 Channel
> Audiofile.

Why are you using [sfplay~] and not the built-in [readsf~]? Does the
glitch still appear when using [readsf~]?

> the playback is triggered via a sensor/GPIO or via OSC.

This hopefully doesn't matter.

> restarting the RPi eliminates the glitch.

Could be some sound card issue, but check the other things first.

Roman