[PD] rescan audio devices

William Brent william.brent at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 20:05:52 CEST 2018

Hi Derek,
I know it's not exactly the feature you want (and maybe you already know
about it), but there is the "Save All Preferences" option, which will write
your current audio and MIDI device selections to a prefs file that is used
the next time Pd starts up. So that way at least you don't have to
re-select your MOTU each time you start Pd. I always close Pd before
putting my computer to sleep or shutting down because disconnecting my
audio device while Pd is open and DSP running leaves Pd hanging
unresponsive. That's the best practice I can think of with the current
features. Automatically re-scanning for new audio/MIDI devices while Pd is
running would be a nice thing to have down the road.

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 1:46 PM Derek Holzer <macumbista at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Is there a way to get Pd to rescan available audio devices (on OSX)?
>
> For example, if I use my MOTU, then disconnect it (because I'm leaving
> studio and want to take laptop with me) but leave Pd open, then Pd does
> not see it when I plug it back in next time. Very inconvenient when I am
> in the middle of a project!
>
> I checked --help but AFAIK there is no internal message there to rescan
> devices, unless --listdev does that. But Pd does not accept that as an
> internal message, only a startup flag.
>
> Suggestions appreciated!
> Thx,
> Derek
>
> --
> derek holzer
> noise.art.technology
> http://macumbista.net

William Brent
www.williambrent.com

“Great minds flock together”
Conflations: conversational idiom for the 21st century

www.conflations.com