[PD] triggering [print~] faster than every 64 samples

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Sat Jul 28 13:58:15 CEST 2018

Hi Mario,

you're right, [del], [pipe] (and [metro] btw) themselves are unproblematic because clocks are timestamped (and therefore [timer] will show the correct logical time). the problem really lies in the conversion from/to audio, as you noted correctly.

for the sake of completeness:

with every scheduler tick, Pd checks for clock timeouts, polls the GUI and does 64 samples of DSP computation.
now let's say a canvas has [block~ 256]: in the first 3 schedular ticks nothing happens expect for [inlet~] buffering, only at the 4th tick we actually do the 256 samples of DSP. but this means that clock timeouts can only happen before those 256 samples - not in between! still, clock timeouts happen at the same "rate" as DSP computation.
now imagine this canvas has a subcanvas with [block~ 64]: everytime the parent canvas (256 samples) is processed, the subcanvas (64 samples) gets processed 4 times in a row and clock timeouts effectively only happen every 4 blocks. but this means DSP computation and clock timeouts are out of sync and even sub-sample correct objects like [vline~] might behave strangely.

eventually, the number of samples between clock timeouts for a canvas and all its subcanvasses is determined by the largest blocksize within the list of parent canvasses.

[block~ 1] on a root canvas is just the simple case where the parent blocksize equals the schedular tick size of 64 samples.

Christof