[PD] [PD-announce] pd version 0.48-2 test1 released

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Sun Aug 5 23:11:48 CEST 2018

I found that in recent versions of ALSA, Pd couldn't recover from very bad
data late errors (such as when I load a few gigabytes of sound on startup).
It never used to recover terribly well, but recently it broke altogether and
so I had an easy way to get to the root of the problem.

Things still aren't exactly the way I want them - often data-late errors seem
to come in threes, as if the first two resyncs don't quite fix things.  I'm
hoping to look at this again for 0.49.

Incidentally, I'm in the habit of running two ALSA devices out of sync, one
for input, one for output.  This is supposed to be a no-no, but I need to
use one device for guitar input and a different one for multichannel output.
At some point I want to make a way a patch can adjust for this by sensing the
slippage and resampling as needed.

cheers
Miller