[PD] Browser UIs for vanilla Pd patches

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Aug 6 08:14:34 CEST 2018

Hello!

On 03/08/18 14:00, Billy Stiltner wrote:
> Thanks for this Chris, Have yet to try out pd-ws but it might be a bit
> simpler for me to plug in place of Nicolas' websockets
> for my browser interface to xensynth

It is basically the same but with no binary dependencies, and it only
supports one active websocket at a time.

> https://ia601201.us.archive.org/34/items/xensynth/xesynthcontrol/xensynthcontrol.html

Lovely!

> xensynthcontrol.html isĀ  just a bunch of high level stuff that was
> easier to do with html javascript than patching up in pd ,

Yes, I understand. This is exactly the reason for pd-ws.

> JAVA applets were the only cross
> platform solution to sockets from browser to pd
> as far as I knew. Will websockets last as long as JAVA applets did?
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1216281

Java, like Flash, always felt like it was crowbarred into the browser.
My hunch is that websockets will be around for a long time. They have
wide support across all browsers and the people who maintain the browser
code wrote the websocket code, unlike Java & Flash.

If xensynthcontrol.html is built only for your personal use you could
also look at browser extensions. I believe it's possible to open native
socket connections (directly to e.g. [netreceive]) if your Javascript
code is running as an extension/add-on.

Cheers,

Chris.

--