[PD] thoughts on the new deken (was Re: [PD-announce] pd version 0.48-2 test1 released)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 09:33:49 CEST 2018

> most likely you've already "manually" added that same directory multiple
> times to your search path, and deken just reflects your choice.

nope, I had completely nuked Pd out of my machine and did a fresh install
from scratch, and i got that.

(aka: i cannot reproduce your problem and you haven't given enough
> information)

Since both issues are not intentional, I'll open an issue then when I have
the time. But this is me in macOS 10.12.6, others might test it as well and
see if they have similar issues.

> 1- There's a default change, now it doesn't prompt you no more if you want
> to add externals to the path. I get it this is more than intentional and
> would like to inquire why. Thinking in the mind set of a newbie and
> newcomer, this might be handy to suggest. Advanced users who are annoyed
> can edit it in the preferences. Anyway, that's just my two pennies on it.

I have a new consideration about this. Since Pd suggests the creation of a
documents folder, and since declare isn't working for that option yet (and
since miller is holding that fix for 0.49), it makes sense to me to keep
prompting the user to add the folder to the search paths because that's
what will help him best, as you'd actually need to include it in the search
path if you were were to use Pd default's suggestions. Advanced users can
still edit this for more complicated and different kind of setting.

cheers