[PD] Japanese language problem

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 15:56:36 CEST 2018

Internationalization support is definitely high on my list. Is there some way you could get a copy of the string that causes the error? It's hard to debug/fix things without the same set up, ie. it could be a problem with Tcl/Tk or Portaudio string handling on Windows, etc. In any case, the audio dialog shouldn't crash Pd on our friends in Japan!

> On Aug 2, 2018, at 5:52 AM, S.E.P. <dreamoftheshoreofanotherworld at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I guess I'll have to change my system settings to a European language then. Too bad! It was good for my vocabulary to have the JP settings.
>
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 3:21 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com <mailto:danomatika at gmail.com>> wrote:
> It might then be a lower-level issue with the device strings returned by Portaudio.
>

>> On Aug 1, 2018, at 11:56 AM, S.E.P. <dreamoftheshoreofanotherworld at gmail.com <mailto:dreamoftheshoreofanotherworld at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hm, I made those changes to dialog_audio.tlc and it didn't help. After that, I tried making the pd-lang.bat file as per the github link's instructions and that also didn't work (It launches PD, but I still get the error when trying to open Audio Settings.
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 4:41 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com <mailto:danomatika at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Can you do a test by modifying the Audio dialog's TCL script? It's in the Pd folder: tcl/audio_dialog.tcl
>>
>> Modify the "set audio_indev" & "set audio_outdev" lines starting at 103 from:
>>
>>     set audio_indev1 $indev1

>>     set audio_indev1 [encoding convertfrom $indev1]
>>
>> This should convert the device name from the system encoding to UTF8 which the Tk GUI should be able to handle.
>>
>> Basically, modify those lines, then save the file and (re)start Pd. If it doesn't appear or crashes right away, then there is a low-level script error. It's a good idea to make a backup of the file just in case this happens.
>>
>> We may have to escape more strings throughout the GUI and probably re-encode the device strings when sending them back to the pd-core.
>>
>>> On Jul 30, 2018, at 6:11 PM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com <mailto:danomatika at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's a bug. Pd should be able to handle unicode in this case.
>>>
>>> In the meantime, you can set the LANG environment variable when starting Pd to English as detailed in https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/po/README.txt#L42 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/po/README.txt#L42>

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>