[PD] [closebang] issue ...

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Fri Aug 24 19:06:58 CEST 2018

hi oliver,

TLDR: have both [clonebang] and the object to be notified together in the same subpatch - but not on the toplevel! *) - then the order doesn't matter. see attached modified example.

---

when a glist is destroyed the following happens for each object: 1) is object itself a glist? call canvas_closebang, 2) delete object.

canvas_closebang does the following for each object: is *not* a glist? send closebang message

if your [closebang] is in a subpatch and the subpatch comes after the object you want to notify, the latter will already be gone once [closebang] is triggered.
however, if you have both in the same subpatch, your [closebang] will be triggered before any objects in the subpatch are deleted.

one could argue that Pd should really send the "closebang" message in the same order as "loadbang" (subpatches first and before any object is actually deleted)...

Christof

*) in old versions of [iemguts], [closebang] didn't trigger on the toplevel. this has been fixed about 4 month ago.