[PD] Slider/Knob

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Mon Sep 10 21:55:13 CEST 2018

Clemens wrote:
> Hi Oliver,

hi, clemens !

I'm replying to the list in case someone else wants to know.

> how can I give the knob a name?

2 ways:

1.) you give it as a creation argument

as the helpfile says you can give up to 6 creation arguments for
[ol_knob]. if you give only one, it's the send/receive name

what you neeed to do:

create an object and type "ol_knob yyy"

this will create the default knob with a "remote" name.
my own personal convention is, that receive names have the appendix "-r"

so:
you get values FROM the knob with [r yyy]
you send values TO the knob with [s yyy-r]

2.) you set the name in the properties

simply create an object and type "ol_knob"

this will create the default knob (without a "remote" name !)

right click the object and you will find an entry called "properties".
there you open a window that lets you set all of the possible properties
of the knob (size/type/range etc.). the one you want is the first one
("remote name").

type your name (let's say "yyy"), press enter (important !) and click
"APPLY".

then you have to SAVE the patch you are working on to make it constant
(which is also true for any PD native GUI object).

the same rule applies to this method as above:

you get values FROM the knob with [r yyy]
you send values TO the knob with [s yyy-r]

the help file should explain all possibilities as well

in case you have any more difficulties, send me a PM.

best

oliver