[PD] bug with edit-mode (was Re: [PD-announce] PD 0.49-0test1 released)

JTG III jordanthomasgibbonsiii at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 13:14:50 CEST 2018

I am on Mac, yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. For me the problem is
happening whenever a donecanvasdialog message is sent to a canvas, so I'd
imagine that is triggering the same thing as the properties menu would?
Also, if the donecanvasdialog message happens in an abstraction, it puts
whatever patch the abstraction was created in into edit mode, and this
seems to be where it's going into edit mode sort of silently, as in, it
doesn't say [edit] at the top of the screen and there's no checkmark next
to edit mode in the edit menu, but if you try to click anywhere inside the
patch its obviously in edit mode as you are able to select/resize/etc.
items in the patch but aren't able to click on a bang, for example, or
anything else--but I've only been able to reliably reproduce this when
first opening a patch that sends a donecanvasdialog message upon opening.
It's happened occasionally after the patch has been opened, but usually the
top of the pd window will indicate [edit] at least when a donecanvasdialog
message is sent. The crash upon closing the patch happens every time,
though. I realize that the donecanvasdialog thing is an unsupported method
or whatever, but it seems like the crashing might be part of a more general
problem somewhere, maybe?

I've just tested 0.49-0test2-i386 just now and the crash and everything
preceding it is still happening. I've attached a patch demonstrating how
the problem is being triggered for me, if maybe someone with a mac wants to
check it out to confirm. It should open in edit mode without the [edit]
message appearing in the title bar or whatever its called or the edit mode
option in the edit dropdown menu being checked, and then make the patch go
into edit mode again each time the donecanvasdialog message is sent, and
finally it should crash pd when the window is closed.

ps - I seem to have mostly gotten around the issue by using coords instead
of donecanvasdialog, which I normally do anyway, however it seems the crash
is  happening regardless, but I'm not completely sure that I didn't miss
anything so please take that as a very tentative statement. It might just
be too early yet for my brain to have come online.