[PD] multiple instances of a patch forbidden in 0.49, why?

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Sat Sep 22 18:26:18 CEST 2018

Oh dear, I was worried this might cause problems.

The rationale is that, especially for beginning users but often for
experienced ones, it is rarely desirable to have two copies of, for
instance, the test tone patch running at once.  (An example from my own
usage is that I have a "play" shell command that opens a patch to play
a soundfile but I don't want to spawn a new one every time I want to play
a new file.)

Anyhow, to make the old behavior possible (which I think is only useful for
experts) I could imagine a couple of ways:

1) ugly workaround, make symlinks to the same patch so it can be opened
(and then managed) via different filenames or directory names)

2) I could add a message to pd or perhaps a startup flag, or both, to
switch the behavior on and off.

3) (I doubt this is a good idea) I could make it "0.48 compatible" to open
duplicates.

Which do you think is the better option?  Any of these would be easy for me
to accomodate.

cheers
Miller