[PD] multiple instances of a patch forbidden in 0.49, why?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Sep 22 21:49:52 CEST 2018

On 9/22/18 6:26 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Oh dear, I was worried this might cause problems.
>
> The rationale is that, especially for beginning users but often for
> experienced ones, it is rarely desirable to have two copies of, for
> instance, the test tone patch running at once.  (An example from my own
> usage is that I have a "play" shell command that opens a patch to play
> a soundfile but I don't want to spawn a new one every time I want to play
> a new file.)
>
> Anyhow, to make the old behavior possible (which I think is only useful for
> experts) I could imagine a couple of ways:
>
> 1) ugly workaround, make symlinks to the same patch so it can be opened
> (and then managed) via different filenames or directory names)

urgh.

> 2) I could add a message to pd or perhaps a startup flag, or both, to
> switch the behavior on and off.
>
> 3) (I doubt this is a good idea) I could make it "0.48 compatible" to open
> duplicates.

urgh again. so what if i want infinite undo (or any other cool feature
introduced in 0.50) but still want to open the same patch multiple times?

so from my side, i really only see something along the lines of #2.

i'd do:
- handle no-dupe-open in the GUI
- add a GUI-preference to enable/disable this behaviour
as a side-effect, the "pd open" would always allow for duplicate open.

i don't know how your shell-script works but it probably should open the
patch via file associations ("xdg-open playsound.pd"), which in turn
would open the patch via pd-gui (as opposed to pd-core) which would
filter out duplicate open requests (in the case of opening a file via
association the no-dupe protection might even kick in unconditionally;
but that might also just be overengineering)

fgmdsar
IOhannes