[PD] Unnecessary scrollbars since 0.49

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 03:12:15 CEST 2018

Try this as a small test: add a new line with "return" after the "update idle tasks" on line 302 of tcl/pd_bindings.tcl.

This should force the window the create it's size, then ignore checking the scrollbar until the next scroll event. What might be happening is a delay between creating the window, creating some objects near the scroll edges, and/or the window resizing. Adding the return might try to avoid that the first time around which is what my older, more complicated fix did.

To see the change in an macOS .app bundle: close the app if it's running, right click on the app, and choose "Show package contents", then navigate to Contents/Resources/tcl, edit and save the file, run the app.

This is one of those things that I'm not really seeing too often on my system but, since it's related to timing of events, curl be happening on others if their timing is different.

> On Sep 23, 2018, at 12:06 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> *sigh* This is really a constant battle. I added a rather overcomplicated method to fix this in 0.48 and found a much simpler way to do it later on, or so I thought. The problem always comes down to the scrollbar logic being triggered when the window is the wrong size while it's still opening.
>
> As for the resizing part, I really could never figure that out. You are WELCOME to try.
>
>> On Sep 22, 2018, at 11:41 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list-request at lists.iem.at> wrote:
>>
>> From: Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com <mailto:reduzent at gmail.com>>
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> It seems there is a slight regression in the logic that decides whether
>> to show the scrollbars or not. According to my experience, the
>> behaviour in 0.48 was quite good and now sometimes when opening a
>> canvas, scrollbars are drawn when none are needed, even for empty
>> windows. When editing the patch (for instance: by creating an object)
>> they immediately disappear.
>> Another less nice side effect: When the canvas size is chosen so that
>> objects fit tightly in with only little white space, the scrollbars
>> cover some objects and justify their existence by appearing at all. To
>> get rid of them one has to resize the window by first increasing it
>> enough just to decrease it again.
>>
>> It does not happen every time with every canvas, but it does happen.
>
> --------
> Dan Wilcox
> @danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika>
> danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>