[PD] Managing externals/abstractions in libraries

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Sep 23 21:02:23 CEST 2018

On 9/23/18 8:27 PM, Atte via Pd-list wrote:
> I can think of three ways to make external libraries (externals/abstractions) available on my debian stable (running pd 0.47.1 from the debian repos):
>
> 1) install the ones from the debian repos
> 2) using the deken plugin
> 3) compiling by hand
>
> I'd rather stick with one to avoid total mess. What do other debian users prefer?

with my Debian hat on: the choice should always be to use the Debian
repositories, whenever possible.
(sometimes this may not be possible, as not all (although most known)
Pd-libraries are packaged; or when you need a release of a given library
that is newer than Debian/stable).

there is also the "pd-deken-apt" (Debian) package, which allows you to
install the Debian packaged libraries from within Pd (using the deken
plugin)

gfmdsar
IOhannes