[PD] file associations on windows (was Re: [PD-announce] Pd 0.49-0test4 released)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 24 10:33:37 CEST 2018

On 2018-09-24 01:17, Lucas Cordiviola wrote:

> Known little thing:
> Something must be done to somehow be able to switch .pd file association
> to 32 or 64. The current behavior is that files (opened from the
> Explorer) are opened with the last Pd installation and if this
> installation is removed the other can't open files from the Explorer.

how does this work with other applications?
e.g. if `.doc` is associated with MicrosoftOffice and i install
LibreOffice, claiming the `.doc` extension, what happens if i then
uninstall LibreOffice?

> This might be solved by running a batch script from pd/bin that rewrites
> to the 'registry'. I'll do some tests.

i think there should just be a button in the preferences that says
something along the lines: "Open pd-patches with *this* version of Pd".

it would probably be better to handle this directly from Pd-GUI (that
is: write the code in tcl, rather than bat).

also, i wonder how much of a problem this will actually be in the real
world (that is: how many people will try to install the 32bit version
and the 64bit version side by side, then decide that they want to ditch
the one they installed last AND will be totally lost in re-installing
the former (or doing file-assocications by hand).

i'm not saying this is not an issue (just trying to assess the priorities)

fgamsdr
IOhannes