[PD] Managing externals/abstractions in libraries

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 24 11:17:18 CEST 2018

On 2018-09-24 10:36, Atte via Pd-list wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 10:12:14 +0200
> IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
>
>> weird. why would you do exactly the opposite of what i suggested?
>> also, Pd-0.48-2 is available for Debian/stretch via backports.
>
> Oops, sorry bout that, I totally misunderstood you, then. My bad.

i probably was not very clear in what i was saying :-)

> So you would suggest pd from backports!

well, it's probably the main reason why the backports package is *there*.

> How about externals/abstractions (is this referred to as "packages" or "libraries"?)? If I stick to debian repos here, is there a simple way to add all these to the search path in pd? It seems cumbersome and error prone to add each path by hand, although I guess I could script it...

you simply shouldn't.
instead use [declare] to declare dependencies on all packages your patch
requires.
(i haven't heard of a feature for Python to import all the libraries; or
for C/C++ to include all the headers; there must be some reasoning there...)

fgas,dr
IOhannes