[PD] Pd 0.49 64b windows processing question (+ pd~)

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Thu Oct 25 16:15:49 CEST 2018

On 25.10.18 09:58, Nicolas Montgermont wrote:

> Le 25/10/2018 à 09:46, IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
>> the only changes the user might notice when running a 64bit binary of Pd:
>> - Pd can use 64bit pointers to address memory. that means it could use
>> about  18.4 exabytes (provided you have a computer equipped with that),
>> instead of a meagre 4GB as is the case with 32bit applications (and
>> Windows would reservere another 512MB, so you could only use 3.5GB)
>> - Pd can use more features (registerse, instructions) of the CPU,
>> potentially speeding up the execution (regardless of the number of CPUs)
>> - Pd can use more modern frameworks provided by the OS. iirc, there are
>> some ASIO drivers which can only be accessed from 64bit applications.
> Does that mean we are now in double precision?
> like in Katja's benchmark:
> http://www.katjaas.nl/doubleprecision/doubleprecision.html
>
> Are we still limited by 32 bits pointers to address table?
> (I dont remember the exact value, I think it was 2^24)
> that would be reaaaaally nice to manage easily big tables (not so big
> when you use sounds)

No, 64bit has nothing to do with double precision. Actually IOhannes
wrote exactly that in the mail you reply to (in brackets though).

Quote: "it has nothing to do with [...] the precision of numbers within Pd".

I agree that double-precision would be great to have, it doesn't only
affect tables, GPS coordinates would be much easier to handle in Pd too.
It looks like Pd is slowly going in this direction actually.