[PD] German translation of Pd

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Wed Nov 7 13:40:08 CET 2018

* IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> [2018-11-07 13:28]:
> On 06.11.18 13:15, Peter P. wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > looking at a german translation of Pd right now I am wondering if it
> > makes sense to translate technical terms such as object, message, into
> > their german-dictionary-counterparts. I find it counter-intuitive to be
> > using, like most others, the english words object and messag in german
> > but having these a bit awkward translations in the pulldown menus.
> >
> > Does anyone else have an oppinion on this? Thanks!
>

> i feel your pain.
>
> i mostly use Pd in English (`LANG=C pd`) to ease it.
Which is great but hard for beginners to do on proprietary operating
systems.

Just today I discovered that even "array" and "graph" are translated to
something very confusing and unnecessary german, which is never used
anywhere is Pd's docs or help patches and is hence totally out of
context. How would one edit the german internationalization of Pd in its
sources?

Into how many languages was Pd's GUI translated? Is anyone happy with
these transations?

thanks!