[PD] German translation of Pd

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Nov 8 15:58:45 CET 2018

On 08.11.18 15:42, Max wrote:

>>    Also Radioknopf is wrong, since "Radioschalter"  but "Radiobutton" is
>>     anyway german ( https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Radiobutton )
>
> Very interesting, TIL. I would suggest "Optionsknopf, Auswahlschalter"
> or something similar. The original Radiobutton where you select the band
> FM / SW / LW (UKW / KW / LW) is only known to people who had such Radio
> and this reference is dying out. (At least for German, I don't know this
> is for English speakers)

none of them ring with me.
both "knopf" and "schalter" evoke quite specific images in my head, none
of which match with what you actually get (and "radiobutton" does neither)

>>    Very bad is "Feld" for array and "arbeitsfläche" for canvas, since
>>    array is a data type and Arbeitsfläche means Desktop normally
>
> Array:
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feld_(Datentyp)

i don't think this helps.
while the word "Feld" for the datatype might exist, i don't think it has
any practical relevance.
as wikipedia puts it (quoting a tutorial on C): „Der englische und
gängigere Begriff für Feld ist Array“.

> Is Leinwand better for Canvas?

no. it's just wrong, just like "Sackleinen", "Ringboden" and "Stramin"
(wtf?).
dict.cc also lists "Kanevas" (which would be a nice weirdo word that's
closely related to english original) or (surprise) "Canvas" as possible
translations of "canvas".

fgksdr
)=uajjes