[PD] pd crashing with patches saved on a 2-monitor setup (plus workaround)

Michael Straeubig straeubig at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 16:24:23 CET 2018

Hi,

I thought this might be helpful if someone runs into similar problems.

I have a number a small patches I made in August 2014 with the pd version
at that time. Now I tried to open those patches on my current setup (Mac OS
10.14.1 Mojave, pd 0.49-1.64 bit). Most of those patches crashed on
startup. Same result with the 32bit version and with pd 0.48-1 as well. Pd
0.47 and earlier do not run on Mojave, so I couldn't test. I was sure these
patches worked in the past...

This is the crash log.

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception
'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Invalid parameter not
satisfying: CGRectContainsRect(CGRectMake((CGFloat)INT_MIN,
(CGFloat)INT_MIN, (CGFloat)INT_MAX - (CGFloat)INT_MIN, (CGFloat)INT_MAX -
(CGFloat)INT_MIN), frame)'
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

The first line of one of the offending patches:

#N canvas 681 -998 1010 411 10;

The negative value piqued my interest. It comes from a setup with two
monitors where monitor 2 is on top (north) of monitor 1. Whenever a patch
is saved while on monitor 2, this value is negative and newer pd's crash
opening the patch next time. More experimentation: creating a new patch and
saving while it is on monitor 2 produces the same result.

Workaround: opening the patch with an editor and changing the value to a
positive number lets pd open the patch normally.

Best,