[PD] speed

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 14:10:38 CET 2019

On Fri, 2019-01-11 at 13:20 +0100, michael strohmann wrote:
> ok, then there might be the problem.
> i was thinking that [line] runs thru ALL the numbers in different
> speeds.

No.

> which, come to think of it, might be a problem if i ask it to run
> from 0 to 100000 in 10 ms.

That's not the problem. You can create something in Pd that counts to
100'000 in zero logical time. Your initial question suggests that you
lack an understanding of some fundamental design aspects of Pd. One
important thing to know is that Pd does everything in a deterministic
manner. Regardless of whether it runs on a very slow or very fast
computer, the generated results are always the same. The only
difference is that it might be able to do it in real time on one
computer while it suffers drop-outs and glitches on another. When you
know that, you know that the rate at which [line] is emitting numbers
is not related to the speed of the CPU.

Forgive me if I sound patronizing, but let me say it anyway: Pd is much
more fun when you understand how it works. Read at least the manual
that is shipped along with the software.

> so, what is the actually algotithm the [line] object is using?

Check the help of line. I cannot explain it better than that. Key words
are 'time grain' and 'grain rate'.

Roman