[PD] open [openpanel] window in the patch folder

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 17:08:55 CET 2019

Em ter, 15 de jan de 2019 às 13:56, Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> On Tue, 2019-01-15 at 13:28 -0200, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> >

> > Em ter, 15 de jan de 2019 às 12:30, Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com
> > > escreveu:

> > > [textfile]),
> > >
> > > The help file says that you can use [symbol <some path>( to open a
> > > specific directory. However, when you give a relative path, it is
> > > relative to Pd's start location, which is pretty useless.
> >
> > is it? cause it seems to me it's just not working at all!
>
> I can currently only test on Linux, but yes it works. However, when
> banging [openpanel] initially, it doesn't open in Pd's start location,
> but in its "Home" which happens to be ~/Documents/Pd in my version of
> Pd (0.49.1).

that's actually 0.49-0, right? 49.1 is only for mac

> I don't know what the start location is on platforms where you double-
> click an icon to launch the application. But you can easily figure that
> out by sending [symbol .( to [openpanel].

Sending a "symbol ." here in the latest macOS and Pd opens the root of HD

> From there, relative paths should work. I guess, they do so also on macOS
> and on Windows once you
> know where your starting point is.

So, a bang opens ~/Documents/Pd, but no relative paths work from there!

So it seems like a bug for mac, and also, we want the behaviour to be
relative to the patch's path, right? At least when sending it "symbol ./"

What I was trying to say  in my previous post is that relative paths
> are pretty useless when they must be relative to this arbitrary
> starting point, since the patch has no notion of that path. Most often
> you want [openpanel] to show some directory relative to the main patch
> of your project. For me, relative to patch would make much more sense.
> I don't see any meaningful use case with the current implementation of
> 'relative to Pd's start location'.

agreed