[PD] open [openpanel] window in the patch folder

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jan 15 22:46:42 CET 2019

On 1/15/19 10:29 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Em ter, 15 de jan de 2019 às 17:31, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> escreveu:
>

>>> So, a bang opens ~/Documents/Pd, but no relative paths work from there!
>>
>> could you elaborate on that?
>>

> Say I have a relative "externals" folder.

relative to what?

[symbol .( opens up "/".
now "." is already a relative directory, and it refers to "itself".
since "." opens up "/", the base for relative directories is "/".

> Sending "symbol ./externals" (or
> just "externals", ".externals" or "/externals") doesn't work.

i guess, all of them work, they are are just not what you expect.
- "./externals" should expand to the *full* path "/"+"./externals",
which is "/./externals" (or just "/externals")
- "externals" should expand tothe *full* path "/"+"externals" which is
"/externals" as well.
- ".externals" should expand to "/.externals" (a hidden directory!)
- "/externals" is an absolute path, and should therefore resolve to
"/externals" (again).

so if there is an "/externals" directory (or a "/.externals") directory
on your harddisk, that folder will open up.

you could try to use "./Applications", "Applications", ".vol" or
"/Applications" to see whether it works.

> So what I mean is that this feature is not happening for macOS => bug
> detected
which feature is not happening? which bug did you detect?

as roman said, the relative notation is relative to the startup location
of Pd.
on macOS, if you double click the Pd.app (or open it via "open") this is
the root directory of your system, which we all agree is pretty useless.
on other systems there are much more useful startup directories.
but that doesn't mean that the "feature" is "not happening".

gfamrds
IOhannes