[PD] Installing GEM on mac?

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Sun Jan 27 16:28:44 CET 2019

>  From a usability experience the mechanism is like one would expect from
> a programming environment where one has to add includes to provide
> library functionality on top of installing them.

to stay with this analogy: in programming environments we pretty much never include all available libraries but only those we need. there might even be conflicting libraries which we don't want to load at the same time.

maybe loading everything works in "batteries inlcuded" approaches like Pd extended and Purr Data, but in Pd vanilla the user must/can decide whether they want to enable libs selectively via [declare] *or* always load them by adding the path to the Pd search paths and/or loading the lib on startup. it's both a burden and a blessing.

> but wouldn't that mean that all the Gem examples should
> have a [declare -lib Gem] in them?

probably. multi-binary libraries don't have this problem because objects will load automatically, but in the case of single-binary libraries this might be a good idea. I don't see any disadvantage but I better leave this to IOhannes :-)

Christof