[PD] Advantages of using [timer] over [realtime]

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Thu Jan 31 16:43:19 CET 2019

> What would be the pros and cons in using [timer] instead of [realtime].

there's really no pro or con, they fullful entirely different tasks. this might not be so obvious when running Pd in realtime mode, but it becomes very apparent when running in batch mode (where the patch might take 1 minute of Pd time but only 1 second of OS time)

personally, I only use [realtime] for profiling tasks. I *never* use it in my patch logic because it isn't deterministic.

> Another question would also be, which one is the most accurate? If this question is applicable.

[realtime] is accurate for OS time and [timer] is accurate for Pd time ;-)

Christof

What would be the pros and cons in using [timer] instead of [realtime].
I know the latter asks the OS for time, while [timer] deals with logical time.
If I got it right, logical time is tied to the sample rate (and block size), so it's basically the 'Pd time'.
Another question would also be, which one is the most accurate? If this question is applicable.

Cheers,
Mario_______________________________________________ Pd-list at lists.iem.at mailing list UNSUBSCRIBE and account-management -> https://lists.puredata.info/listinfo/pd-list