[PD] aconnect midi devices with identical client and port numbers

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Tue Feb 5 09:49:35 CET 2019

Hi everybody!

I have switched just now from the default MIDI on my old system to alsa MIDI
with my new system Debian 3.5.

I have made myself some monitoring of the /dev folder to tell me when a new
midi device gets connected.

Then I check the input with aconnect -i for getting the client and port
number to connect it automatically to Pd.

This works great!

However, I'm having a problem with devices that show up as the same client
with the same port number.

For example the EWI-USB and the Panda-Audio midiBeam both show up as client
32:0.

On my old system (Ubuntu 11.10) both would be listed and I could
differentiate them by their name.

So I could connect one to Pd MIDI In 1 and the other to Pd MIDI In 2.

Unfortunately on Debian 3.5 only one of them gets listed for each
client:port number.

The other one deosn't even show up. I think it's the one that was connected
first that works. The 2nd one is being ignored.

Does anybody know a workaround for this?

Is there a file where I can change client or port numbers for specific
devices maybe by the PID / VID ?

Thank you!

Ingo