[PD] watchdog -> force restart

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Mon Feb 18 10:36:18 CET 2019

* michael strohmann <itsnotfair9 at gmail.com> [2019-02-18 10:22]:
> good morning,
Guten Morgen!

I know you didn't want this answer, but, is there a chance you can
figure out why you are getting the watchdog message in Pd in the first
hand place?

Did you already check the results of
	aptitude search watchdog

> is it possible to automatically restart pd (or the computer) whenever i get
> watchdog: signaling pd
> ?
>
> in other words: what would be the proper way to monitor a linux system and act upon e.g. CPU usage greater than xy% ?
> does anyone have experience with ps-watcher?
> http://ps-watcher.sourceforge.net <http://ps-watcher.sourceforge.net/>
I just found these:
https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RT_Watchdog

> i need help understanding this description of the pd-watchdog
>
> s_watchdog.c is the source of pd-watchdog, which was spawned in sys_startgui(). pd-watchdog monitors its stdin for any input, timing out after 5 seconds if nothing was received. In this case it kills pd with a SIGHUP, but normally it will continue looping as long as characters are received from pd' at a rate of at least one every 5 seconds. So if pdtk_watchdog calls pd every 2 seconds and glob_watchdog() sends a CR each time through the pipe, everything runs smoothly.
>

> "pd-watchdog monitors its stdin for any input” does this also work if i start pd with -stderr >2/dev/null ?
> is the fact that i run pd as superuser responsible for pd NOT beeing killed by SIGHUP ?
Please forgive me, but why do you run Pd as root? Do you really need to
do so?