[PD] Canvas questions

Laure M. Hiendl laure at martinhiendl.com
Wed Feb 20 17:39:16 CET 2019

Dear all,

I would like to use Pd's canvas for simple, timed text projection in a
piece, and I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm getting the projected text from a .txt file via the [text get]
object and [zexy/list2symbol] to then [label $1( the canvas. It's
working very fine but when I try to open the properties menu of the
canvas I get this error message:

(Tcl) UNHANDLED ERROR: wrong # args: should be "pdtk_iemgui_dialog
mytoplevel mainheader dim_header wdt min_wdt wdt_label hgt min_hgt
hgt_label rng_header min_rng min_rng_label max_rng max_rng_label
rng_sched lin0_log1 lilo0_label lilo1_label loadbang steady num_label
num snd rcv gui_name gn_dx gn_dy gn_f gn_fs bcol fcol lcol"
    while executing
"pdtk_iemgui_dialog .gfxstub100311e20 |cnv|
------selectable_dimensions(pix):------ 15 1 size: 0.0 0.0 empty
      ------visible_rect..."
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel #0 $docmds"

I can open the properties menu of a new canvas, but as soon as I label
it with another long string I get the same error message. I can edit
all the canvas properties just fine with messages, so for me it's not
a critical issue. I was just wondering whether I should worry about
the stability of my patch.

2. To center align the projected text I'm repositioning the canvas
label according to the character count of the string. I've added the
char count manually for each line in the .txt file, but I was
wondering if there's a way to get the char count of a line
automatically…

3. How can I get commas "," and semicolons ";" through the [text] object?

Thanks

Laure

--
Laure M. Hiendl