[PD] slow opening

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Mar 4 15:28:03 CET 2019

On 04.03.19 13:34, michael strohmann wrote:
> on raspberry b+/stretch/pd-0.48  lately my patches open very slow.
> i get the turning hour glass and sometimes the watchdog is already signalling pd….
> can it take long to find librarys or a slow SD card or netsend related issues ?
> or something completely different ?

well, start with "pd -verbose -stderr" to see where it spends the time.
sidenote: this might make loading even slower (*if* it is related to
finding libraries/abstractions), but you might laern something about the
bottleneck.

general advice on search paths:
- only add a minimum of global search paths (either via "-path" flag to
the Preferences->Path dialog)
- use (abstraction local) [declare] statements instead.
- add paths to compiled libraries *after* paths to abstractions.
(compiled libraries are only searched once: as soone as they are found
they are loaded into RAM; otoh, abstractions are searched for each
instantiation; so you want to make sure to find abstractions as soon as
possible).

oh, and i'm not entirely sure whether your patch eventually opens
successfully or not.

fgamsdr
IOhannes