[PD] can't load Gem 0.94~pre1 on Windows

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Mar 23 18:56:56 CET 2019

On 3/23/19 6:37 PM, Christof Ressi wrote:
> Hi, I wanted to try Gem 0.94~pre1, but Pd says it can't load the library:

Gem-0.94 has been released a couple of days (or was it weeks?) ago.

> C:\\Users\\Foo\\AppData\\Roaming\\Pd\\Gem\\Gem.dll: couldn't load
>
> It finds the correct file but I don't get any other error messages... I checked with dependency walker and I think all dependencies are there. Has anyone managed to get it working on Windows?
>
> I'm on Windows 7 with Pd 0.49 32 bit.

...but there's no Gem-0.94 build for windows/32bit, only for win/64bit
(so if you can, please use that).

the reason is mainly because i couldn't make Gem work on win/32bit - the
problem being exception handling, rather than dependency resolution;
which would result in a crash as soon as an exception is thrown, rather
than a simple "couldn't load" problem. (if you ever have time, we might
try to resolve this together.)

iirc, the simple fix for dependency resolution is to move the
"msvc*.dll" files from Pd/bin/ out of the way (or remove them entirely),
as they are incompatible with Gem.
then you probably have to remove most plugins (those that throw
exceptions during load, and thus crash Pd/Gem).
after that you should have a working Gem (albeit with not so many
possibilities to load/display films/images/videos/...)

hmdst
IOhannes