[PD] How can I weave multiple signals together?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Mar 26 09:42:16 CET 2019

On 26.03.19 01:08, RT wrote:
> I expect some-type of delay because of processing but each of the 3 signals

i guess peter's question was more along the lines:
assume your soundcard is set to a sample rate of 44.1kHz.
therefore, each of your three signals will create 44100 samples per second.
if you interleave (that's the term that is usually used) one second of
the three signals, you will have a resulting signal that is 132300
samples long. which is three seconds.
after another second of input data, you will have 6 seconds worth of
output data.
what do you do with the extra data?
if you just keep it, then you will accumulate more and more data, until
your memory is exhausted.

if your signals are infinitely long (which is one of the points of doing
realtime-processing, as opposed to batch processing that can only handle
finite length chunks), you will end up needing 2*inf GB of memory.

gfmasd
IOhannes