[PD] fonts in linux

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Sun Apr 7 17:14:54 CEST 2019

> Dear Oliver
>
> I am no expert, but after your first email, I played around a bit. I
> am on Ubuntu 18.10 running Pd 0.48.2, and I cannot reproduce your
> problem. I tried:
>
>      pd -font-face "Celeste Small"
>
> Pd started OK, and Celeste Small was loaded as the default font (see
> screenshot — just a labelled canvas).

strange ... this is what happens on my system when i do this:

WARNING: Font family '"Celeste' not found, using default (DejaVu Sans Mono)

Small": can't open
-font-size: can't open
12: can't open
-font-weight: can't open
normal: can't open
(Tcl) UNHANDLED ERROR: extra characters after close-quote
     while executing
"pdtk_startup_dialog .gfxstub5648e27e9080 0 "-font-face "C"
     ("uplevel" body line 7)
     invoked from within
"uplevel #0 $docmds"

from that point on PD doesn't respond to anything anymore.

Tested on both PD 0.48 and PD 0.49

BTW: my system is:
Ubuntu 19.04 (Disco Dingo) with an XFCE desktop

(but the same happened on a Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS)

did you really use "normal" quotes ? i also tried escaping the
whitespace with a backslash but no luck
> Pd seems to rely on the OS to find fonts for it, so I don’t think you
> need to worry about search paths & creating extra folders. If you want
> to play around with renamed fonts, dropping them into
> ~/.local/share/fonts should be fine.
>
> If your system does have a problem with whitespace or quotes, remember
> that you are giving -font-face the font’s name, not the font’s file
> name.
can you elaborate a little more ? what exactly is the difference ? PD
seems to be looking for a "font family", at least this is what the
warning on the console says
WARNING: Font family 'Courier_New' not found, using default (DejaVu Sans
Mono)

BUT: what actually DID work was "-font-face FreeMono" - which looks
similar to courier, so that will do for the moment.

all other methods you suggested (creating aliases,
copying fonts to  "~/.local/share/fonts" and renaming them,
using any other "non-space" font) failed, though

anyway, thanks a lot for your suggestions, i already know more than
before ;-)

oliver